Healthy Kids. Happy Planet.
Lean and Green Kids
Tips and tricks:
1. Let your kids create the wrap. They'll take pride in their creation, and are much more likely to eat it.
2. Use organic, whenever possible. Yes, it's more expensive, but we believe our kids and their planet are worth it.
3. Many of our wrap recipes call for Veganaise as an ingredient in the dressings. We understand that even egg-free mayo is not a health food, but used sparingly, it helps get kids to eat more beans and greens. Now, if you're the DIY type, LGK recommends an easy, quick, and nutrient dense cashew mayo.
4. Measurements are approximate. We would have listed ingredient amounts as "a scoop of this," or a "handful of that," but measurements are great for math.
Good Nutrition News for MAY…
Here’s a sample of the nutrition knowledge your student is gaining this month, with The Daily Scoop - good nutrition news delivered daily!
We hope these tips and special recipe will spark a healthy conversation about nutrition around your dinner table. Remember, eating plant-food is good for you and the planet too! Brought to you by leanandgreenkids.org
The nutrition tips below are on the flip side of the Daily Scoop May recipe card, for students to take home and share with family. Each Daily Scoop monthly issue comes with a beautiful poster too!
Salad's Rock, Taco style!
Enjoy the delicious taste of tacos with avocado, made healthier with extra veggies and greens!
2 - 3 corn tortillas, cut into strips or cubes (or tortilla chips, crumbled)
1 cup of cooked pinto beans or black beans (or combo)
1 cup of chopped or grated vegetables, like
- cucumber, carrots, celery, olive, tomatoes
3 cups of romaine lettuce, chopped thin
1/2 to 1 whole avocado, cut into cubes
1/4 cup corn kernals
Comine 1 Tablespoon Vegenaise or cashew mayo with 2 Tablespoon of salsa.
Toss all ingredients in a bowl. Option, wrap in tortilla. Enjoy! Serves 2.
|Join Our Mailing List|
Let's face it, it's not easy putting beans between two slices of bread. Wraps and salads are the perfect, kid-friendly solution for creating healthy meals on the go that use lean and green beans for protein.